A blog by Campbell Consulting Group, based in Bend, Oregon.

Monday, December 7, 2009

College Football live on Twitter via hastags

I know this is not my area, at all. I actually laughed when I typed out 'College Football' in the title of this post. But, I'm not trying to pretend I know team names, scores, the players, or anything related to college football, other than the impact it's had within social media. For almost the first time, I watched an entire college football game, and enjoyed it. Not in person. Not on cable. Not on a television. Not streaming live on my Mac. But, via Twitter I watched the Oregon Civil War Game - Oregon State University vs. University of Oregon. The Beavers vs. The Ducks. All Oregonians know what happened, but I saw the game unfold through the tweets of fans on both sides. It seemed every minute a new post would appear, and when something controversial happened (LeGarrette Blount entered the field after half-time) the tweets were streaming in withing seconds of each other. It was hilarious...
ianb78 Thug behavior encouraged in Eugene. Bl[o]unt with a TD run, but Beavers still lead 30 - 28 in the #civilwar #gobeavs
Images, opinions, conversations, scores, players names, everything was posted on twitter in an easy-to-follow layout thanks to the hashtag theme #gobeavs and #goducks. The Bend Bulletin featured a Beavers/Ducks Civil War Live Tweet Stream where I saw it all play out. Related goodies: The December '09 Social Media Hot Topic List via 10e20, featuring College Football
-Jacq (@jacqsmith)