A blog by Campbell Consulting Group, based in Bend, Oregon.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Social Media Do Not: Shovelware

Via twitter, of course, I found a great link from REPORTR.NET about Social Media entitled "Study Finds US New Media Use Twitter as Shovelware," linked here. I was saddened to read the stats, but not surprised. What else would US Media promote? I have a few ideas, but I'm sure there is no budget or money in tweeting classified ads and events from the community calendars. The Wikipedia definition of shovelware is available, but I would like to compare the term 'shovelware' to the dating world. Here's a little phrase my girlfriends and I (after learning the hard way) have followed, "Quality over Quantity." Please note - this does not apply to shoes, accessories, blog posts, or Twitter followers. As a business, or as an independent tweeter - do not tweet to tweet. You'll loose credibility, appear boring ("@LameTweetExample at my desk watching the world rotate outside my window") and ultimately stop tweeting because you don’t get it. If you feel this may be you - take a deep breath and send @CCGPR a DM and we'll get you tweeting.
-Jacq (@jacqsmith)