A blog by Campbell Consulting Group, based in Bend, Oregon.

Friday, October 8, 2010

PDX Wordstock 2010


When I lived in New York City I spent many an evening on the top floor of the Union Square Barnes & Noble waiting patiently to hear a favorite author speak with a pile of his or her books under my seat crying out to be signed. There was something really special about meeting the writer behind my new favorite novel or hearing the inspiration behind a story that had a lasting impression on me. 


Wordstock began in 2005 and since then has hosted over 1,000 writers, who have read and performed for close to 80,000 people over the years. The annual festival is a celebration of books, writers and storytelling in Portland and  features 9 author stages, a book fair, writer and teacher workshops, plus a variety of special events for adults and kids alike. It is the largest celebration of literature and literacy in the Pacific Northwest and is one of the largest festivals of its kind in the nation!


My friend Kate works for the Lyceum Agency here in Portland and has been telling me about Wordstock for the last month. She is quite busy this weekend supporting Stephen Eilliott and Jonathan Lethem for their Wordstock engagements. She has introduced me to the active literary community in Portland and I have even been lucky enough to snag an extra ticket from Kate for author talks at the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall. Portlanders are passionate about writing and reading; making Wordstock a fabulous series of events to attend!


Click here for a schedule of events - there is no shortage of happenings!

No comments:

Post a Comment